Special Educational Needs

Manchester’s local offer makes it easier for families to find out about the support that is available for children and young people with Special Educational Needs or Disabilities (SEND). All schools and academies in Manchester are expected to identify and support pupils with Special Educational Needs.

More information on Manchester’s local offer can be found at: www.manchester.gov.uk/sendlocaloffer

The family of a child with SEND has the right to request for their child to be educated in a mainstream setting. Manchester schools are supported to be inclusive. Manchester’s Graduated Response document outlines guidance that they could provide to support schools. Schools have a duty to publish SEND information on their website which is updated annually. Outlined below are frequently asked questions in regards to how children with Special Educational Needs are supported at Dean Trust Ardwick:

What SEND needs are provided for at Dean Trust Ardwick?

Dean Trust Ardwick provides for children with SEND in line with the Equality Act 2010. This would be if they have a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of their peers, or have a disability which prevents or hinders them from making use of educational facilities in mainstream schools or mainstream post-16 institutions.

There are four types of Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) as described in the SEN Code of Practice 2014:

  1. Communication and interaction
  2. Cognition and learning
  3. Social, mental and emotional health difficulties
  4. Sensory and/or physical needs

If a pupil is identified as having SEND, then their needs will fit into one or more of these categories. Pupil with medical conditions will have Individual Health Care Plans (IHCP) which specify the type and level of support required to meet their medical needs.

How does the school know if pupils need extra help with learning?

When deciding whether to make special educational provision, the teachers and Special Educational Needs and Disability Co-ordinator (SENDCo) would consider all of the information gathered from within the school about a child, alongside national data and expectations of progress. This should include high quality and accurate formative assessment, using effective tools and early assessment materials. For pupils with higher levels of need, school would have arrangements in place to draw on more specialised assessments from external agencies and professionals.

This information gathering should include an early discussion with the pupil and their parents. These discussions should be structured in such a way that they develop a good understanding of the pupil’s areas of strength and difficulty, the parent’s concerns, the agreed outcomes sought for the child and the next steps.

If parents have any concerns regarding their child, they are encouraged to discuss this with the school’s SENDCo.

What should I do if I think my child has Special Educational Needs?

Please contact the SENDCo to arrange a meeting, or alternatively, you may discuss any concerns about their progress with their Head of Year who will refer them to the SENDCo if necessary.

NameDesignationContact details
Mrs R. BrightSENDCo 0161 972 2988
Mr S. DiazHead of Year 7 0161 972 2988
Mr S. RashfordHead of Year 8 0161 972 2988
Mr C. SmithHead of Year 9 0161 972 2988
Mrs L. HardmanHead of Year 10 0161 972 2988

How will I know how my child is doing at school?

For those pupils with SEND, in addition to normal reporting arrangements, there are opportunities for parents to discuss progress with teachers, Learning Support Assistants (LSAs), Higher Level Teaching Assistants (HLTAs) and the SENDCo. Parents are informed by HLTAs/LSAs working with their child of their progress at regular intervals throughout the school year. If there are any concerns or questions the SEND team is always available for consultation by appointment.

Parents are encouraged to liaise with staff to share information via a home/school communication book or by direct contact with school. Teachers offer advice on how to support pupils at home and help with homework.

For all pupils with Individual Education and Health Care Plans (IHCP) annual reviews with the young person, parents and staff supporting the pupil are arranged as part of statutory procedure.


How will my child be informed about their progress and support?

All pupils are able to access support from the pastoral team who liaise closely with the SEND Team to offer extra support if necessary.

All SEND pupils are assigned a key worker, either the SENDCo or an HLTA/LSA. A key worker involves the young person in their education by meeting with them at regular intervals throughout the year. This information is then shared with parents, to allow parents to have an input into their child’s education and progress.

The effectiveness of support provision put in place is reviewed at regular intervals throughout the year by the SENDCo and the school’s Senior Leadership Team.

How will my child be supported?

All subject teachers are responsible for the outcomes of pupils in their lessons. They are responsible for making the curriculum accessible to all pupils through Quality First Teaching and will receive ongoing training about additional learning requirements.

The SENDCO will ensure that:

  • All relevant information is distributed on pupils needs so that teachers have a good understanding of how to support your child in school.
  • High quality training is provided to all staff so that teachers are equipped in meeting those needs.
  • Teachers and LSAs meet regularly to plan to meet a pupil’s needs.
  • The quality of teaching provision for pupils with SEND across the school is efficiently managed.
  • There is high quality support in place in classrooms.
  • There are regular intervention sessions offered in the Inclusion Base at
  • Parents/carers are kept informed of any changes to the provision that is in place for their child.
  • The following types of additional support are also available, all dependent on need:
  1. Additional adult support in the classroom. There are seven dedicated LSAs in the SEND department who support teachers in helping the learning of whole classes. Pupils with an Education and Health Care Plan (EHCP) will receive this support according to their needs.
  2. Small group withdrawal sessions. When pupils come out of some lessons for prearranged sessions with LSAs or external agencies for example, handwriting, reading, numeracy skills, organisation skills, social skills.
  3. Intervention from external agencies. Educational Psychology/ Speech and Language Therapy/ Sensory Support Service are at hand to support your child through recommendations and arrangements via the SENDCo.

What support will there be for my child’s overall wellbeing?

All pupils are able to access the Pastoral Support Team in school who liaise closely with the SEND Team to offer extra support if necessary. The Inclusion team offers pupils the facility to spend time in the department during lunch if they prefer a quiet area. There is the opportunity for social interaction with peers with support from LSAs. Pupils are encouraged to share any concerns/anxieties with members of the team and there is close liaison with both parents and teachers. Dean Trust Ardwick will support the emotional, mental and social development of pupils with SEND through listening to the views of pupils and their parents.

For those with medical or physical needs Dean Trust Ardwick follows the statutory guidance for supporting pupils with these needs. There is also a specialist Higher Level Teaching Assistant who works closely with those pupils whose needs are long term.

If a child has a medical condition school will liaise with all professionals working with the child and will follow their advice and strategies to support the child in school.

School has a designated member of staff to work with attendance issues alongside the appropriate agencies from the local authority.

How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child will receive?

Our provision is arranged to meet our pupils’ needs within the resources available.  This approach reflects the fact that different pupils require different levels of support in order to achieve age expected attainment. The SENDCo will consult with the pupil, staff and parents/carers as well as with support staff, to discuss the pupil’s needs and what support would be appropriate.

There are always on-going discussions with parents/carers for any pupil who requires additional support for their learning. We ensure that all pupils with SEND have their needs met to the best of the school’s ability, within the funds available.  The budget is allocated on a needs basis. The pupils who have the most complex needs are given the most support. If the school feels that further support is needed they may involve other services to support the child’s or family’s needs; these include health and social care bodies, local authority support services and voluntary organisations.

How accessible is Dean Trust Ardwick for my child?

The school is on one site. There is currently one main building, with three storeys and all levels have lift access. All areas can be reached via permanent ramps which means that the ground floor of the building is accessible for wheelchair users or those with impaired mobility. The site has disabled toilets on every floor. There is also a specialist hygiene room on the ground floor with a hoist, and rise and fall bed to aid pupils with mobility impairments engage in all aspects of the curriculum. There is one car park on site. The car park has parking bays for disabled badge holders, marked clearly in yellow paint. Every classroom has a rise and fall desk. Science and Design Technology rooms are also fitted with rise and fall sinks.


How will my child be included in learning activities both in and outside the classroom including school trips?

Dean Trust Ardwick is a fully accessible school so all pupils are able to participate in all activities. Appropriate differentiation through Quality First Teaching is provided in all lessons and arrangements are made for inclusion on all trips.

Arrangements for making a complaint

Please refer to the Dean Trust Complaints Policy in regards to making any complaints regarding your child and their Special Educational Needs and Disability. pdf iconComplaints Policy